SEWSA 2013 is over. This site will be kept up as an archived record. We will attempt to post notes, videos and audio of keynotes and events when possible.
The conference will take place at UNCG in Greensboro, NC, in the Elliott University Center.
**Please note – we have limited number of free tickets for keynotes and special events available to the community. Community members not attending the conference can click here to reserve and print a free ticket. After these tickets are gone, we will accommodate additional community members at the door on a first come first served basis – no guarantees!
Conference Program now available! Click the image below to download a PDF.
Conference Schedule — Summary Version:
- 10am: On-site conference registration and check-in will begin (Cone Ballroom, EUC)
- 12noon – 6pm: Panels, Workshops, Films and Performances (EUC)
- 6pm-6:50pm: Reception, with Music by Laurelyn Dossett (Cone Ballroom, EUC)
- 7:10pm-7:30pm: “Promotion & Tenure” Dance and Performance by Duane Cyrus (Auditorium, EUC)
- 7:30pm: Keynote #1, Dr. Wahneema Lubiano, “Falling into and out of Despair: Thinking as Political Romance” (Auditorium, EUC)
- 8am-11:05am: Panels, Workshops, Films and Performances (EUC)
- 11:20am-12:50pm: Keynote #2, Dr. Victoria Marks, “A Choreographer Considers Disability: Anecdotes and Rants” (Auditorium, EUC)
- 1pm-2pm: Lunch (Cone Ballroom, EUC)
- 2:10pm-6:20pm: Panels, Workshops, Films and Performances (EUC)
- 6:30pm-8pm: Remarks by Dr. Shannon Miller, SEWSA Board President
Keynote #3: Caitlin Breedlove and Kai Barrow from Southerners On New Ground (SONG), “Sharpening the Contradiction We Sit In: Academia, Non-Profits and Organizing for Liberation.” (Auditorium, EUC)
- 8am-11am: Panels, Workshops, Films and Performances (EUC)
- 11:20am-12:50pm: Lunch & SEWSA General Membership Meeting (Cone Ballroom, EUC)
- 12:50pm-2:30pm: Dr. Andrea Smith, “Learning, Not Schooling: Alternatives to the Academic Industrial Complex” (Auditorium, EUC)
- 2:45pm-5pm: North Carolina Premiere of new documentary “Anne Braden: Southern Patriot” with community panel and discussion to follow.
- By 6pm: The conference will end.